Friday, November 4, 2011

Trip to Bath

View from the main street looking East
I took a trip to Bath this past Tuesday-Wednesday. It was so beautiful, guys. Seeing the city for the first time out of the train window took my breath away. I loved it there. The buildings and landscape were amazing. I wish I could put all of my pictures on here because everywhere I turned, it was just so pretty.

I arrived in Bath around noon on Tuesday, made my way to the YMCA where I was staying and got settled in then set out to find the Jane Austen Centre (of course that's stop numero uno). This was when I learned my first life lesson of the journey: don't trust Google maps. My map app told me the Jane Austen Centre was up the steepest hill of all time, so I walked, oh, four blocks up this hill that, if it had been any steeper, would have required climbing gear. It was all residential and I was kind of thinking, "Oh, what's up with this then?" but of course my unwavering (ill-placed) trust in my handy-dandy map caused me to push on. Finally I gave up and asked for directions only to find it was in the opposite direction.

Once at the Jane Austen Centre, I went to the tea room for lunch. I had the Jane Austen blend tea and smoked salmon sandwich. Deliciousness. I loved the tea, so I bought some to take home, although I haven't the slightest idea how to brew it (June will teach me I'm sure...or I'll find a youtube video - ironing part deux! - haha). The exhibit at the Centre was great too. I was able to refresh my memory and also learn a few new things about Austen and the time, like the different things you can be saying by holding a fan in certain ways (my favorite was the "My love for you is breaking my heart" one because what the hell is that?).

Next stop was the Roman Baths. It was really a magnificent experience to finally see this. I felt like I was stepping back in time, there was such a wondrous ancientness about the place. I spent a while wandering around the Baths, listening to the audio guide, and just enjoying the sights. Made a wish in the wishing well so fingers crossed on that one I guess? There was a shit-ton of money in that pool, too. I went back to the Pump Room for breakfast the next morning to try the water. It was weird tasting, yeah, but drinkable. I also had a Bath Bun and hot chocolate.

Next stop was the spa. I spent Monday polishing wine glasses to the point of perfection for rich people (OMG just get over yourselves) so I felt I deserved something nice...to feel a little posh myself, ya know. It was a little awkward being alone and I forgot to think about that, but it was still relaxing. They had different flavored steam rooms I guess you could say. Lotus, sandalwood, something-or-other, and mint. Mint was my favorite. I parked it in there for a while. I'm totally getting my own mint steam room when I grow up. That's now my life plan. Had a feta and grape tart for my included dinner. Once again, delicious food. After my three hours at the spa, I called it a night since everything was closed anyway.

The next morning I had breakfast at the Pump Room, as I've already mentioned. Then I went next door to Bath Abbey, which was the first big church type place I've been in over here since I have yet to go in the London ones. I walked in and my jaw literally dropped. The place was huge. This picture does it no justice really. It was just such a massive space...beautiful stained glass windows and such too.

After I left the abbey, I bought some lunch at the High Street market nearby and walked across the river to one of the parks and ate my lunch there. I spent the rest of my stay walking around the city and some of the parks.

This is the bridge I walked over to get over the river. It's apparently one of the only bridges in the world to be built like this with shops along it. I feel like this pigeon is posing for my picture. Random. I love it! I saw the Circus and the Royal Crescent which are both pretty impressive architecturally.

The Royal Crescent
I went to the train station to catch my train back to Paddington station only to find out it was canceled and I was put on the one 30 minutes later. So getting back to London and then to my place (and then to football practice) was utterly exhausting. I hate people on the tube when it's busy. They all become bigger assholes and do a lot more pushing and shoving. NOT OKAY! Anyway. Bath. Bath was amazing. I can go back now?

Until next time,
Duchess :)

1 comment:

  1. Love the Roman baths. Love your photos. Next time go to Yak Yeti Yak! Such excellent food...

    ReplyDelete